#6 More Flickr fun
Like many web 2.0 sites, Flickr has encouraged other people to build their own online applications using images found on the site.Through the use of APIs (application programming interfaces), many people have created third party tools and mashups* that use Flickr images.Here is just a sampling of a few …
- Mappr - allows you to take Flickr images and paste them on a map
- Flickr Color Pickr - lets you find public photos in Flickr that match a specific color.
- Montagr – create a photo mosaic from photos found on Flickr.
Your discovery exercises for this “thing” are to:
- Explore some of the fun Flickr mashups and 3rd party tools that are out there.
- Create a blog post about one that intrigues you.
- Suggested tools to use are FD Toys’ Trading Card Maker.
- And there’s a ton of librarians out there that have created their own Librarian Trading Card.
- So have some fun discovering and exploring some neat little apps.And if you're up to the challenge while you’re at it, why not create a trading card of your own. :)
* Mashup Note: Wikipedia offers some great articles that explain mashups. Basically they are hybrid web applications that take features from one application (like Flickr) and mash it up with another (like a map). In this example, you get Mappr (http://mappr.com/).
Continue on to Week 3, Thing 7
The image above was created by txt2pics